Looking for air cleaner part number

The workhorse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Looking for air cleaner part number

Hi,

I'm looking for the proper lid to go with this air cleaner, but first I need the part number for the correct lid so I know what I'm looking for.

The base is IH part number 998228-C91 and it uses a paper element IH part number 446661-C2 which is the same as Wix part number 46255.

This is an optional air cleaner mostly used on Cargostars and Loadstar S1700 and S1800's with 345 / 392 gas engines. Here is a list of all the possible custom applications:

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartAp ... Part=46255

I believe there is more than one IH air cleaner assembly type that uses the Wix 46255 filter, so I really need the lid for this base to seal properly. What would be the part number for this air cleaner's lid? And if IH Navistar doesn't have it, any suggestions for other possible sources?

Thank you.

Filter Dimensions and specs:
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDe ... Part=46255

Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Looking for air cleaner part number

From the late 70's I never saw a medium truck with anything but that filter! I sold 1000's of them,still know the Fleetguard # ,Fram to for that matter.

The MT-132 Irish Mike has is too old (Revision 12) and doesn't even list a dry element filter. :(

Fortunately I found the early S-series book online and downloaded it.

500162C1 Cover,air cleaner

Try a dealer or truck salvage yards.

This is the only result from a search;
http://www.maximinc.com/parts-search?pa ... rice_high=

I also Googled the PN on the label for the entire assembly...
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/Par ... PST=Starts

If you can't find just a cover...
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:05 pm

Scottso wrote:From the late 70's I never saw a medium truck with anything but that filter! I sold 1000's of them,still know the Fleetguard # ,Fram to for that matter.

The MT-132 Irish Mike has is too old (Revision 12) and doesn't even list a dry element filter. :(

Fortunately I found the early S-series book online and downloaded it.

500162C1 Cover,air cleaner

Try a dealer or truck salvage yards.

This is the only result from a search;
http://www.maximinc.com/parts-search?pa ... rice_high=

I also Googled the PN on the label for the entire assembly...
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/Par ... PST=Starts

If you can't find just a cover...

Wow, Awesome info, as always!
FWIW the cover has been discontinued. And the first link wanted $281 for just the cover, but don't have any in stock and probably never will. However the second link has a couple complete new air cleaner assemblies in stock for a fraction of what the first wanted for just the cover.
Thanks again, its appreciated!
Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:19 pm

That's good to hear! It's also good to know that someone contacted Ritchie Implement (finally),as they have come up many times in my web searches for old IH PN's and that they have the part and are reasonable with pricing. 8-)

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:07 pm

Can someone please post up Ritchie Implement info in the Vendors section, Thanks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi,

Just as a follow-up and conclusion to this thread, I received the air cleaner assembly. It was packaged well and they threw in a new air filter with it, which was unexpected (and it fits my truck). :-)

When I spoke to Steve on the phone, he told me they only sell agricultural related equipment and parts. However, he told me they have a lot of parts, such as this air cleaner was, that has been there longer than anyone working there, and they have no idea what these parts are or what they go to. They're just shelves of unknown parts with part numbers.

So keep them in mind if you're looking for something obscure but you know the part number.
I rate Ritchie's A+.

Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:29 pm

That is very good to know, as stated before they come up often in parts searches and I thought they may be someone who copied part numbers in so their name comes up but they don't really have the parts.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:19 am

Nothing against them,but if you go to Ritchie Implement and ask to see all these old parts,you will find that they don't really have them on hand. Their online quantities mirror exactly the same "dealer only" surplus source that I buy from.
Maybe someday I'll be smart enough to do the same thing.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Glad you got the AC! 8-) New IH AC assy's came with an element so it was likely with it to begin with.

As I said before,when they come up in a search,it's a toll free call to ask them to verify the part is actually in stock. That goes for the other sites like them who list parts using Machinery Trader.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:33 am

BLEEDSIHRED wrote:Nothing against them,but if you go to Ritchie Implement and ask to see all these old parts,you will find that they don't really have them on hand. Their online quantities mirror exactly the same "dealer only" surplus source that I buy from.
Maybe someday I'll be smart enough to do the same thing.

Hi,

What are these "dealer only" sources you refer to? I'm sure we would all like to know. Is it Machinery Trader or some other sources?

Eventually I'm going to need a boat-load of brake parts, (springs, clips, shoes, seals, cylinders, etc) and it would not be right to ask someone else to research/source all these parts for me. But if I find the parts, even if they don't sell retail to the end user, I could still then ask a dealer to obtain specific known parts from a known source for me.

As for Ritchie Implement actually having obsolete parts in stock, I can't say first hand. But I can say they had these two air cleaner assemblies in stock on the day I first called them. They pulled them from somewhere while I was on the phone with them, they explained the differences to me and had pictures in my email for me that afternoon.
(Despite both air cleaner assemblies having the same IH part number sticker, they were not the same. One assembly had one air connection in the base, I assume for a pcv hose or air filter monitor gauge, and one assembly had two air connections, one in the base and one in the lid. That second assembly would not have worked for my truck as I only have about an inch clearance from the top of this over-sized air cleaner to the hood. With that additional pcv connection sticking up from the lid, it would have hit the hood when it was closed).

Steve
Next

Return to Loadstar