Engine Mounts and Tranny ID?

The workhorse

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Engine Mounts and Tranny ID?

I'm looking for part numbers for the engine mount insulators...

I need the horseshoe rubber in the front and the two rubber isolators for the transmission mounts. Any idea of where to find them? My local IH dealer said he could get the front mount, but couldn't get the tranny mounts.

On the tranny note: I'm not even sure which transmission I have. I've hunted all over the darn thing and there is no tag to tell me. Can anyone help with this description:?

5 speed: 1 2 4
R 3 5
It has a driver's side PTO to drive the hydraulic pump.

Also does anyone know what other transmissions would also work? I have a Loadstar dump and like the 5 speed, but the seals are pretty well gone since the other day it was spraying tranny fluid on the exhaust... Yeah, so I'm either looking at a rebuild or a replacement. As always any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:38 pm

Re: Engine Mounts and Tranny ID?

The year,model and engine are always helpful.
If its an SV8...
879627R92 Insulator,front -2 needed-
http://www.shopih.com/SL879627R93-p-EM.html

290862C91 Insulator,rear -2-
http://truckpartsinventory.com/heavytru ... 1/46647144

Why not just replace the seals in that trans? Seals can dry out and fail,which may be all that's needed. Exactly where is the leak,from the rear? If that is the source it's a pretty easy repair with no need to drop the trans.

It's most likely an IH 5spd,they were the most common. The T-34,35,36,495 & 496 all used the same output seal. Look for a part number on the case itself,they were cast in so might be hard to see.
T-34-36 238592R1 case service pn
T-495,496 440288C2 case service pn

Here's some pn's for the above trannies...
440324C2 Seal (IH)
451143 Timken or National <Nitrile>
26110 Chicago Rawhide/SKF
411143N National <Polyacrylate>

Now,if it were me I'd also install a Speedi-Sleeve on the yoke so there would be a new clean surface for the seal to ride on. I sold 100's of them and they are well worth the money.
Both SKF & National make them...
99262 SKF Speedi-Sleeve or National Redi-Sleeve
This has a basic explanation of them;
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1838012

https://www.google.com/#q=99262+Speedi+Sleeve

NAPA lists the SKF pn's online but they're pricey (what else is new?) IMO.

National are available at Advance auto,O'Reilly & PepBoys among others.

You'll probably have to order them no matter where you go,except maybe the dealer you mentioned.

Advance has good prices...
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... showTitle=

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... showTitle=

Cheapest I found actually.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Sorry, I completely forgot the details!

I have a '71 Loadstar 1700 with a 345. It originally had a 304, but I rebuilt and dropped in a 345 for a little extra kick.

The tranny has a few issues like it doesn't like to mesh into 3rd without having the rpm's matched perfectly - which incidentally means that downshifting to 3rd is impossible.

I rebuilt the motor as stock so there's no performance parts, but I did add a 4bbl carb and a 390 cfm Holley I had laying around. Still not sure what cfm 4bbl I should be running, but it's getting me through. I still need to add a tach since mine didn't come with one and with the whirl of the infamous fan I can't really tell engine speed... I know that the front engine mount is shot since I had it off, and since I'm planning on pulling the tranny I'm wanting to change them as well. I might just try to find a used tranny somewhere that I can just do a swap in it. Someday I want to add a Gear Vendors overdrive, but for now 55mph is fine with me.

I've considered doing a major swap to a diesel, but with the dog house rework and all the fab work I'm not quite there yet. Someday I'd love to get more than 4mpg and over 55mph but alas. Right now it's worth its weight as a mobile bill board for the business!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:52 am

heres a link I posted in the swap if you need these
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2714&p=18053#p18053

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:47 pm

I take you don't have the Line Setting Ticket for the truck? Thought I had emphasized the need for it?

With the truck a '71 you likely have a T-35 or T-36 if the shift pattern is 4th all the way right and up,with 5th down.
The replacement choices are better though,the T-495/496,T698/699 are descendants of the former and will bolt right in.There is also the T-34 OD version of the T-35 but they are extremely hard to find and usually more expensive if you do find one.
From the symptoms described you have a bad syncro for sure and who knows if anything else. I did some checking and both syncros appear to be available but will be rather pricey,probably about 400-500 smackers and that doesn't include a bearing & seal kit.

Here are the gearing differences for each trans which is only 4th gear.
T35 Direct in 5th
T36 Direct in 5th 1.22 in 4th
T495 Direct in 5th
T496 Direct in 5th 1.22 in 4th
T698 Direct in 5th
T699 Direct in 5th 1.22 in 4th

I driven each and it's not really noticeable.

Here's a link for a truck parts locator,find transmissions and you'll find them. I looked and there are a number of each listed.
http://truckpartsinventory.com/

As I don't know where your located I can't post more. I do have some links for rebuilders though.

Just take it under consideration that a used trans. is just that and there's no telling it's true condition. It could last for years or just days,it goes bad and you're stuck with it.Remans may be cost more but they come with a warranty.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks Scottso! Your knowledge is invaluable! I now have an idea of what I should be looking for. I'm thinking if I can pick up a used transmission for next to nothing then it might be worth a shot since I have to pull the transmission anyway to replace the seal; and if I actually get a working 3rd gear then I might just take my chances. I'm not needing the truck for a few weeks so I going to take my time and figure out my options.

At this point I doubt a line set ticket will help much since the guy I bought it from said the guy he bought it from said the guy... you know how it goes. I know the truck had a 304 when I bought it, but it was not the one that was original. I dropped in a 345 since it was cheap and only had 20,000 miles on it. The truck came with several other 304 and 345 engines and 2 different transmissions, but none were viable. Supposedly one of them was the original, but no one knew for sure. The only thing that I know is original is the hydro brakes and the manual steering system. I'm trying to locate a power steering unit, but they're getting hard to find complete.

Anyway, I have a feeling I might be leaning on this forum for more expertise in the future as I try to get to know the inner workings of my Loadstar! Thanks for the help in advance!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:46 am

I have to disagree,the LST is still a valuable thing to have regardless of the engine change. I'm sure the front axle,brakes,steering and rear axle are original,engines got swapped all the time. With an LST you have the info for whatever you might need parts for. Brakes for instance,with the codes I can look up everything to do a complete brake job and nothing has to be taken apart.

Here's a '74 Loadstar LST

Say it needs king pins...it has an FA72 frt axle,simple. I don't even have to look them up,I know the pn. 70594R91.

I can figure out with the codes for your truck what your options for the steering are too. You can't take any old PS system from a Loadstar and expect it to fit,it doesn't work that way.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:35 pm

You have me convinced. I'll order one tomorrow. Some day I'll wise up and listen to the same people I'm asking questions to... Your knowledge is extensive and you're willing to impart. Well I'm ready to listen. Thanks!

Return to Loadstar