Oil filter for 1966 304 SV

The workhorse

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Oil filter for 1966 304 SV

Hi all,

Glad to be back using this great resource 8-) I am sure this has been asked many times before and listed elsewhere but I cannot find it here.

Looking for an oil filter part number for a 304 SV. Also spark plug park numbers would be handy. I will post some pics of the truck once I dig them up. Its a 1966 Loadstar 1700 4X4 Fire Truck

cheers

Paul

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: Oil filter for 1966 304 SV

I'll give you the Fleetguard number 'cos they're memorized.

Cartridge type;
LF 522

Plugs;
RJ6 Champion
303 Autolite
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:43 am

vwstickman wrote:Hi all,

Glad to be back using this great resource 8-) I am sure this has been asked many times before and listed elsewhere but I cannot find it here.

Looking for an oil filter part number for a 304 SV. Also spark plug park numbers would be handy. I will post some pics of the truck once I dig them up. Its a 1966 Loadstar 1700 4X4 Fire Truck

cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Sounds like an awesome truck. I look forward to seeing some pictures of it.

For those considering an upgrade to a spin-on filter for their 304 SV, I did a rather detailed analysis and technical comparison of over 300 different spin-on filters that fit our engines. In a table I list and compare the technical specs of the dozen or so best of the best filters available. If anyone reading this post is new to the old IH trucks, I might suggest reading this post, especially all of page 2. I also talk a little about Loadstar filters too.

http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forums/ba ... lters.html

Thanks.

Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:08 am

Steve, I didn't read the whole link, but a the 1st page and would say your way over thinking filteration. 1st point, bypass valve settings. A pump only produces flow, not pressure, restriction creates pressure. Unless your pump is totally knackered, it is capeable of exceeding 300 psi with enough restriction. Since all clearances (other then pump internal clearance) are beyond the filter, a plugged filter with a 30 PSI bypass will bypass any pressure above that, and since there is no place for the pressure to bleed off before the filter (depending on where the releif valve is located), it should have no problem opening the valve and lubeing the engine (as long as it bypass as well below relief setting). The pressure down stream from the filter (engine side) will remain about the same as before the filter plugged. Too low a bypass setting will pass dirty oil on cold starts, too high may starve the engine if the pump is worn, but should show on any pressure indicating device (light or guage). Before jumping filter numbers, cause some "stat looks better then the orignal called for, remember, flow or capacity in gal/min is more inportant then just about any other 'stat, and this is rarely included in the books.
2nd, I used to be in the 3000/ 3 month camp for oil changes, but today that isn't needed. I change about once a year, and my engines last longer then the chassies they are in. Both oil and bearing material has inproved.
SV's had a rep for flakeing cam bearing, and no amount of oil changes or filters will stop or correct that. If your worried then pull the cam and install modern bearings from a reputable supplier.
One last note,
It is becomeing harder to legal and respocably dispose of spin-on filters by the DIY'er. In most areas they need to be crushed and all oil recovered before going into the trash. There are services that will collect and do this, but are byond the means of most DIY's. Cartridge filters can most times be burned, and any metal recovered after the fact, makeing disposing easyer for DIY's. Some service stations will take used filters for proper disposal, but many will not. Check local laws before disposing of spin-on's.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:40 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:Steve, I didn't read the whole link, but a the 1st page and would say your way over thinking filteration. 1st point, bypass valve settings. A pump only produces flow, not pressure, restriction creates pressure.

I mostly agree, that's why I talk extensively about the different restrictions of the different filters on the 2nd page.

Unless your pump is totally knackered, it is capeable of exceeding 300 psi with enough restriction.

I respectfully have to totally disagree with you on that one. (I'm referring to the 304 SV V8 engine and similar engines). You can fill a filter with hardened concrete and you will never see more than about 60 psi (before the filter) regardless of the viscosity of the oil and rpm of the engine (within reason on both). There is a bypass in the oil pump (which some people shim to bring up to 60 - 70 psi) that will prevent the pump from ever producing more than that amount of pressure. And 10 to 30 psi would be more normal for a hot engine idling. Of course, with the filter filled with concrete, the oil pressure the engine sees would be zero.

Since all clearances (other then pump internal clearance) are beyond the filter, a plugged filter with a 30 PSI bypass will bypass any pressure above that, and since there is no place for the pressure to bleed off before the filter (depending on where the releif valve is located),

I have never rebuilt a IH 304 V8, but isn't the bypass part of the oil pump and before the filter? And, from what I understand, the oil pump will only produce no more than 30 psi on a used engine at idle speed when hot, regardless of after-filter restrictions.

it should have no problem opening the valve and lubeing the engine (as long as it bypass as well below relief setting). The pressure down stream from the filter (engine side) will remain about the same as before the filter plugged.

Definitely not true. And that's speaking from experience. I bought my first ever IH last December. It arrived a couple months later, while this site was crashed. One of my first posts on another forum was my concern over the very low oil pressure I saw on the gauge. The oil did not "appear" to be dirty. And because my engine has the very deep Loadstar oil pan, initially (after all, I was new to IH) I did not see any reason to change the oil. But based on responses I had to my post, the first thing I did was to change the filter. I went from the Carquest filter that was on the engine (made by Wix) to the Wix recommended 5 inch 51452 oil filter. My oil pressure, using the same old oil, same gauge, etc More Than Doubled - both cold and hot readings, and both at idle and at higher driving speed. That big overall pressure reading improvement can only be attributed to the filter, as nothing else was changed. That started me on my quest to find the best filter with the best technical specs (which definitely is not Wix, as shown on page 2 of that post. There are other equivalent filters that filter contaminants 4 times smaller and with less, much less restriction and have a much greater contaminant holding ability). To continue with my story, shortly thereafter I changed the oil and replaced the Wix 51452 with a Wix 7 inch 51459 oil filter. I again noticed a slightly higher overall pressure reading than with the new 51452 filter. But I cannot say if that was entirely the fault of using a larger filter, as I also had new oil.

Too low a bypass setting will pass dirty oil on cold starts, too high may starve the engine if the pump is worn,

And its my contention that 30 psi is too high a setting for the oil filter bypass valve. The IH spec is for 8 psi.

but should show on any pressure indicating device (light or guage). Before jumping filter numbers, cause some "stat looks better then the orignal called for, remember, flow or capacity in gal/min is more inportant then just about any other 'stat, and this is rarely included in the books.

I agree, flow in gal/min based on applied pressure is the second most important spec a filter has. (I'm referring to filters here, not oil pumps. For the most important spec, although its pretty obvious, you'll have to read page 2 of my post). And no manufacturer lists that information willingly. However, I was able to obtain that info from one manufacturer and after seeing and comparing that info among their various filters, and crossing with Wix equivalent filters, I will never go back to Wix.

2nd, I used to be in the 3000/ 3 month camp for oil changes, but today that isn't needed. I change about once a year, and my engines last longer then the chassies they are in. Both oil and bearing material has inproved.
SV's had a rep for flakeing cam bearing, and no amount of oil changes or filters will stop or correct that.

Well, I'm not sure about that, based on my internet research (not real-life experience). From what I've been able to gather, its the combination of low oil pressure from poor filters and lack of oil changes, and more especially from the acidity buildup in the oil from infrequent oil changes eating away between the bearing layers that cause the cam bearing degradation and flaking. Many people do not use their IH vehicles on a regular basis and I've seen posts where people have stated they go 3 or 4 years :( between oil changes because the oil does not look dirty.

If your worried then pull the cam and install modern bearings from a reputable supplier.
One last note,
It is becomeing harder to legal and respocably dispose of spin-on filters by the DIY'er. In most areas they need to be crushed and all oil recovered before going into the trash. There are services that will collect and do this, but are byond the means of most DIY's.

Well here in Los Angeles you just take your old oil filter and used oil to the local auto parts store. They collect that. It could not be easier. They've done that for years here. Don't all auto parts stores do that now?

Cartridge filters can most times be burned,

You try that in your back yard here in Los Angeles and you will quickly find the police and fire department quickly knocking on your door and issuing you some very expensive tickets in the hundreds of dollars. I don't know if auto parts stores will take partially burned filters.

and any metal recovered after the fact, makeing disposing easyer for DIY's. Some service stations will take used filters for proper disposal, but many will not. Check local laws before disposing of spin-on's.

Thank you for your response. See my comments mixed in above.

Steve

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Some engines (Like the BLD) have the relief as part of the oil filter adaptor, Not sure about the SV's. However any oilpump can if the relief is stuck exceed 300 psi, which is why I said that "depending on where the relief is". If the relief is before the filter, then it will limit to what ever the relief setting is, but still higher then the bypass on the filter. What I'm trying (and failing) to get across is: there is no clearance to lower pressure before the filter. all engine clearances (these are what determine oil pressure, along with pump speed) is after the filter. SO a clogged filter will biuld pressure until the relief and/or bypass settings then pass oil to the bearings. Unless the pump is severly worn, it will produce enough pressure to open the bypass at idle with a clogged filter. With a clogged filter, it is like a plugged pipe until one of the two valves open, it takes very little oil to raise the pressure in the plugged system (look up the term Hydrostatic testing). once the bypass setting is exceeded it is again the clearance that determines pressure.
Again, it is the clearance in the engine that determine what the oil pressure will be (below relief setting). I agree that 30 psi bypass is high, likely that filter was designed for hyd service in the return line for a trans or other hyd system, for engine 5-15 is more normal.
As to cam bearings being blamed on lack of maintance and acid, I would ask why you only see it in the SV then and not all engines?
I would say that flow is more inportant then micron rateing. Engines live a long time with dirty oil, much more so then no oil. Remember, oil filters were optional until the 50's and were mostly bypass filters at that time.
Most large (and expensive) engines use both full flow and bypass. The full flow is rather "course" just there to stop "rocks, pebbles, and little kids" from being circulated in the oil, and bypass is where the smaller particals are removed.
I worked on a fleet of British buses, they used a centrifical bypass filter and no full flow filter at all. They were used in the hardest duty there is, stop and go city driveing, we never lost an engine due to lube problems.
It might be of interest to you to know that Cummins more then doubled the bearing life in their 855 cid family of engines by LOWERING the oil pressure from 75 psi to 43 psi, same bearings, same engine. They use two reliefs in the pump. 1st set to 75 psi on the outlet of the pump, the second is also in the pump but senses the pressure at the end of the oil rifle bore in the block. It is this one that controls the pressure at 43 psi. So 43 psi must be present at the far end of the oiling system. The 1st relief is there to protect the filters and system from excessive pressure, the 2nd sets the running pressure. 2 stroke Detroits have a 1-3 psi oil pressure switch setting, they don't even alert at 5 PSI! Again, flow is more inportant then pressure. Many engines run with splash and dipper tubes and last, the Chevy "stovebolt 6" was that way for many years.
I'm not going to say filtering is bad, I just think you are going overboard a bit, but if you want to put in the time on the research, more power to you!
Around here (Iowa) filter disposal is a big problem, none of the auto-parts stores accept used filters, nor to most shops. It is why I stopped doing my own oil changes, oil disposal is no problem for me (mix it in my diesel tank and burn it) but filters are.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:49 am

Thanks for replies. That simple question sure opened up a whole discussion. After reading most of it one thing comes to mind from what I have learned from running and studying pumps in fire trucks. lower pressure = more flow. Higher pressure creates more friction loss. May not the same in an engine but it how it works in a fire truck water pump.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:54 am

Scottso wrote:I'll give you the Fleetguard number 'cos they're memorized.

Cartridge type;
LF 522

Plugs;
RJ6 Champion
303 Autolite

I know of two things that always spark up big discussions, oil and spark plugs. So with that risk in mind what do you think of running a colder plug like an Rj8 or even a 10 ? The truck will mostly be used in parades at low speed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:14 pm

I believe both 8" & 10's are hotter not colder.

The dealer I worked for also had a fleet (900+) of school buses,the shop super rebuilt all the engines himself (a really good old school mechanic) and used only UJ8's. They are what was used in the IH "industrial" engines,just a bit hotter than the RJ6. I wouldn't advise going any hotter than that.

All I'll say about oil is we sold (parts & service) Chevron Delo 400,medium trucks got SAE 30 same as they came new with.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:32 am

To all, I tried to follow this as much as I could, but you went way over my head. Sorry about that. From personal experience, I have noticed that there are 2 styles of oil filters for an SV 345. One is a 1 quart filter that mounts at a 45 degree angle, and the other mount straight down and holds about 1.5 quarts. The small one seems to use 3/8 inch pipe thread to mount and the big one seems to use 1/2 inch pipe thread. For these engines, especially after they are rebuilt, which filter, of the 2 sizes, would be best to use? thank you for you're response. Bill
Next

Return to Loadstar